University of Washington
University of Washington
Location Seattle, Washington, United States
Salary Not specified
Job type Employee
Category Accounting / Financial Services,Administrative / Office,Customer Service,Health Care,Legal
Job status N/A
Posted on May 15, 2018
Job code ******
Return to Job list
RETURN-to-WORK SPECIALIST Req #: ****** Department: COMPLIANCE & RISK SERVICES Job Location: Seattle Campus Posting Date: 05/14/2018 Closing Info: Open Until Filled Salary:
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Shift: First Shift As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a Great College to Work For for four consecutive years.
Risk Services, a department in Compliance and Risk Services, protects the University from the financial impact of accidental loss. It provides services to all University schools, colleges, and administrative units in the areas of risk financing, workers compensation, discrimination complaint investigation, risk consulting, and claims management, compliance support, and strategic loss control.
Claims occur most frequently in the areas of workers compensation, automobile, general liability, employment practices, and professional liability, with lower frequency in marine protection and indemnity and first party property claims. The Claim Services staff manages claims in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Return-to-Work Specialist.
Under the general direction of the Director, Claim Services, the Return-to-Work Specialist coordinates return-to-work services for injured workers in accordance with program policy, procedures, and state regulations. The Return-to-Work Specialist accomplishes his/her mission by finding matches between light duty work within University departments and injured workers medical restrictions to minimize time loss on workers compensation claims, including collaboration with the attending providers, injured workers, supervisors and managers, Human Resources staff, L & I claim managers, and others to reduce or avoid time lime loss. The Return-to-Work Specialist serves as a reviewer of and subject matter expert on the appropriateness of the return-to-work components of all workers compensation claims. Finally, the Return-to-Work Specialist works with University departments proactively by helping to create alternative work opportunities and encouraging modified duty programs. The Return-to-Work Specialist is a critical part of the risk management function at the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists the University in return-to-work of injured workers by collaborating with University employees, supervisors, managers, Human Resources, L & I, providers, Disability Services, other administrative units, and vocational rehabilitation counselors on complex workers compensation claims.
- Contacts injured workers, supervisors, managers, and medical providers to place injured workers in light duty roles within their medical restrictions while they recover from job related injuries
- Reviews the medical and return-to-work aspects of workers compensation claims and communicates changes in restrictions to appropriate University staff on a regular and continuous basis
- Assists departments in obtaining light duty reimbursement incentives from L & I
- Reviews and monitors protests, appeals, and litigation involving L & I decisions on the Universitys claims
- Contacts physicians, vocational counselors, and other providers to determine restrictions, treatment plans, or other medical issues necessary to assist with an employees return-to-work
- Consults with the Department of Labor and Industries claims staff to evaluate workers compensation claims and discuss return-to-work options
- Prepares and disseminates trend information for key departments on a regular basis
- Conducts regular claim reviews with L & I claim staff
- Responds to information requests from University staff, L & I, and others
- Manages development and implementation of job modifications funded by L & I
- Maintains accurate, detailed and confidential records of claims communication
- Maintains data consistent with data integrity standards in Claim Services
- Maintains a caseload of workers compensation claims
- Proactively and aggressively seeks return-to-work options for UW injured workers
Works with University departments proactively by helping to create alternative work opportunities and encouraging modified duty programs.
Communicates with the Department of Labor and Industries, the Attorney Generals Office, Special Assistant Attorneys General, University schools, colleges and divisions, and consulting professionals. Makes presentations to audiences of various sizes on claim trends and risk management.
Serves on relevant University committees as appropriate and as requested.
Provides training and knowledge transfer to others in Claim Services and to other University audiences as appropriate.
Works on special projects or teams at the request of the Director of Claim Services.
- Bachelors degree and three years of experience in one or more of the following, preferably in Washington:
-Managing the return-to-work function of an employer
-Managing workers compensation claims
-Vocational rehabilitation consulting
- Excellent written and oral communication skill, with ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and apply complex rules and regulations toward effective problem-solving
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations for broad audiences
- Ability to effectively and efficiently use computer systems and databases
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Superior negotiation and brokering skills
- Strong planning and organization skills
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with in-house workers compensation claims program
- Familiarity with L & Is Claims and Account System
- Knowledge of Washingtons workers compensation law (RCW 51)
- WA Workers Compensation Claims Certification
- Disability expertise and/or certification(s)
- Experience in Occupational Medicine
- Management experience
- AIC, CPCU
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select Apply to this position. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your My Jobs page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your My Jobs page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at ************ / ************ (tty) or **********. Apply for this job
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
University of Washington
Website : http://www.washington.edu