State of Minnesota
Minnesota State Services for the Blind (SSB) has been serving blind, visually impaired and DeafBlind Minnesotans since 1923. It does so with a staff of 110 dedicated personnel, over 650 skilled volunteers, an active State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind and a host of community partners. Each year SSB assists thousands in leading full, active and productive lives. Come be part of a great organization in a great state.
This position will be located in either Moorhead, Fergus Falls or Alexandria, depending on workload. This position will provide, authorize and coordinate individualized rehabilitation services to blind/visually impaired customers who are having impediments with living independently in their home/community and adjusting to their vision loss. These customers are primarily senior citizens who are not seeking competitive employment. This position also performs caseload management functions, including authorizing for training such as mobility, technology or activities of daily living.
This position works with consumers who are blind, visually impaired and Deafblind. The selected candidate must complete the required 6 week Adjustment to Blindness (ATB) training.
TRAVEL IS REQUIRED
- Assess customer need for rehabilitation services. Provides direct services/training or make arrangements for services/training to be provided by an approved vendor.
- Perform caseload management and budget functions so that services are provided in a timely manner according to Federal and State law, policy, regulations and procedures.
- Develop partnerships with a wide variety of public and private entities in order to develop the needed resources to provide high quality service to blind and visually impaired seniors.
- Participate as a team member with the Senior Services Unit to provide individualized adjustment and educational services to blind and visually impaired customers.
- Participate in an overall Senior Services Unit (SSU) marketing strategy that will help inform Minnesotans about SSB services and other resources that will be applicable to blind/visually impaired seniors.
Two years provessional or para-provessional experience performing rehabilitation services in an organization (public or pirvate) whose mission includes the provision of services to persons who are injured or disabled so that an understanding and sensitivity toward people with disabilities has been obtained;
A Bachelors Degree in a Counseling, Social Services or Health related field;
an equivalent combination of post-secondary training, education and/or experience.
Candidates need to demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Ability to read and comprehend information (e.g. program manuals and procedures, laws, rules and regulations).
- Ability to write memos and case notes sufficient to provide clear and concise information.
- Oral communication sufficient to provide program information and explain program rules and procedures.
- Human relations ability sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, external customers and clientele.
- Computer skills demonstrating basic proficiency with entering data and case noting.
- Ability to work independently and make quick decisions.
- Ability to gather facts, analyze information/situation and recommend solutions to problems with limited scope and complexity.
- Ability to schedule and manage time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Experience working with persons with visual impairments
- Experience working with seniors
- Knowledge of vision issues
- Experience with teaching adults
- Bachelors Degree in Occupational Therapy, Counseling or Social Work
Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this positon, the department may contact you. Employee reference checks will be conducted on all finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance. It includes contact with the applicants current and/or former employers.
A Criminal Background Check will be conducted on all finalists for this position. A criminal conviction will not automatically remove you from consideration for employment.
When the position requires travel and the applicant drives a state owned or leased vehicle, a drivers license and record check will be conducted.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Click Apply at the bottom of this page. If you have questions abouting for jobs, contact the job information line at ************.
For itional information about the application process, go to **************************
If you have questions about the position, contact Heidi Hartiwg at *************************** or ************.
The Department of Employment and Economic Development is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer, and encourages all qualified candidates to for job opportunities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application and search tools, please contact Karen Lilledahl at ************ or ***************************. Please indicate what assistance is needed.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at ************ or email *******************. Please indicate what assistance you need.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
State of Minnesota
Website : http://www.state.mn.us/